Friday, November 13, 2015

A Challenge for the Christian Church

When I look at the world today, especially as we have just this morning heard of more terrible terrorist attacks in Paris, and the changes in morals world wide, the spread of drug addiction and it's horrors and the continual attacks on Christians ad Christianity by the media at large and many individuals it causes me to reflect once again how come the Church is not a more positive influence in this world as it was in the reformation.
I picked up a book the other day by Helmut Thielicke called "The trouble with the Church".
It was published in 1965.
I haven't read it all but can say amen to some of his points.
He probably was feeling like I do today.
I am disturbed in this day and age by lots of things I see happening in the Church and things I don't see that should be happening
 I firmly believe the Church is the Bride of Christ and still has a huge role to play in the Drama of the Ages.
However I think we may well be like the Church in the book of Revelation that it is said of


15 “I know you well—you are neither hot nor cold; I wish you were one or the other! 16 But since you are merely lukewarm, I will spit you out of my mouth!"

 Here is the passage in context.

Are we the Church of Laodicea?

Are we lukewarm?

 Revelation 3 Living Bible

13 “Let all who can hear listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches.
14 “Write this letter to the leader of the church in Laodicea:
“This message is from the one who stands firm,[f] the faithful and true Witness of all that is or was or evermore shall be,* the primeval source of God’s creation:
15 “I know you well—you are neither hot nor cold; I wish you were one or the other! 16 But since you are merely lukewarm, I will spit you out of my mouth!
17 “You say, ‘I am rich, with everything I want; I don’t need a thing!’ And you don’t realize that spiritually you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked.
18 “My advice to you is to buy pure gold from me, gold purified by fire—only then will you truly be rich. And to purchase from me white garments, clean and pure, so you won’t be naked and ashamed; and to get medicine from me to heal your eyes and give you back your sight. 19 I continually discipline and punish everyone I love; so I must punish you unless you turn from your indifference and become enthusiastic about the things of God.
20 “Look! I have been standing at the door, and I am constantly knocking. If anyone hears me calling him and opens the door, I will come in and fellowship with him and he with me. 21 I will let everyone who conquers sit beside me on my throne, just as I took my place with my Father on his throne when I had conquered. 22 Let those who can hear listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches.”

One of those who challenged us in Australia and overseas to look with discernment about spiritual things,in particular spiritual gifts, was Rev Bryce Hartin.
Quite rightly of course he will argue as the Bible tells us "we do not fight with flesh and blood, but the evil unseen rulers of this world."
I have many of Bryce's tapes in my collection including the one you are about to listen to if you follow the link.
So listen if you will with discernment.

http://blessedassurancepromisebox.com/MP3D/G0930gt%20-%20Bryce%20Hartin%20-%20AnAnalysisOfTheCharismaticMovement-1Tim%204.1%201Jn4.1%20Rom16.17-Tape2-8.25Mb-70m35s.mp3

I have put this link here rather than create my own online audio of his tapes.
There are many other audio links to many  other speakers I have never heard of so I cannot recommend the site per se at this stage.
It is unlikely that you or I will agree with everything on that website.
We do, however, need to be challenged and not just passively sit back and let the unseen rulers do their thing.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Geoff,
    You have an audio of a pastor speaking on the demonically inspired charismatic mvmt that is taking place at this time. I would to download it and share it. Is this possible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loobell. This is not my sermon to authorise your down load.If you follow the link you will find the website where it lives.

      Delete
    2. Thank you...it is an excellent sermon. I am not sure what you mean: follow the link. When I click on it, it is just the audio that plays in a black screen. I am far from a techie....a little more instruction?

      Delete
    3. Yes. It's hard to get back to the original page but if you want to share it with a friend just copy the link and email the link to a friend. Bryce Hartin's written studies on some of these subjects can be found on the Internet. He has passed on now. He was a baptist minister in Queensland. I hope this helps. I have lots of his cassette tapes but too many to digitise. He had a very important ministry. Blessings. Geoff t

      Delete
    4. Thanks, this link was an answer to prayer, I found it on M'Kaylas Korner. You had posted it there. I have family that is involved in the Bethel Ministry and I myself was at the very edge of it but never trusted it was the Holy Spirit. God has been leading me out of the mainstream church and I am learning to trust his Holy Spirit to teach me. It has been a very informative last year to say the least. I will do a search on Bryce Hartin to see if I can find more info. God bless!

      Delete
  2. I am glad you have found the link helpful.My former Pastor Frank Hunting, who is on this blog, had a similar ministry in some ways to Bryce Hartin.I wouldn't be in a hurry to leave a mainstream church but it is important to be in Church and one where the Gospel is faithfully preached and not distorted.I trust God continues to lead you and help your family. Look to Him always. geoff t

    ReplyDelete